1. We have had an
energy audit through Excel and have found that our attic
insulation is most adequate. We followed through with
all their suggestions to improve our energy efficiency
such as by insulating around the vents and around the
chimney in the attic.
2. All the windows have been reworked and we have
installed new rope sashes . The windows have been
weather stripped with metal tongue in groove. The
windows themselves have the old glass pretty much
throughout (thicker and less perfect than what is made
3. Our stoves are high efficiency, energy star rated.
Our hot water heaters are energy star rated. All other
appliances will be replaced with energy efficient ones
as the need for replacement occurs.
4. Our walk in cooler has 12 inches of foam insulation
to improve its efficiency. In addition, we moved it from
an inside wall next to the furnace, to an outside wall
to take advantage of the cool ground.
5. We use window air conditioners so that we can provide
cooling only where it is needed and when it is needed.
6. We have an ongoing policy to conserve energy by
turning off lights and electrical equipment when not in
7. We have a guest-prompted housekeeping policy.
Consequently, we change out sheets and towels at guests’
request, as an alternative to automatic daily
8. We provide cloth napkins at breakfast.
9. We have replaced many of the light bulbs with the
more efficient, CFL, ones. We have done this in
virtually all the closets and basement lights throughout
the house. In addition, we use dimmers on almost all
incandescent lights in the house.
10. We recycle aluminum, paper, glass, plastic and
cardboard. Notice the wooden recycle bin in the first
floor back hall. Please feel free to use it.
11. We buy carefully with regard to packaging - trying
not to purchase with excess wrappings.
12. We do not offer the little bottles of shampoo,
conditioner and body wash. Instead we offer the use of standard
13. We use care in selecting natural cleaning products.
In particular we avoid phosphate-rich detergents.
14. We have filtered water pitchers in each room, as an
alternative to the bottled water available.
15. Our yard and garden watering system is a combination
of soaker hoses and drip system with sprinklers in the
grass area. We water between 3 and 6 a.m. to reduce
evaporation. We run it only when needed.
16. Although we cannot claim responsibility for this
piece of lucky geography, we are proud to
note that our B&B is within walking distance of
six outstanding restaurants, and the
walk down Summit Avenue
James J. Hill House,
MN History Center.
Local Attractions page for more destinations.)